The Meaning Maker Studio at ACOE provides an innovative space for educators and students to design and create products using an array of electronics, technological tools, and manipulatives.
The Studio invites the education community to our monthly Open Making hours every first Wednesday of the month, from 3 - 6 pm. Participants attend for free.
Who is welcome?
- Teachers, principals, para-educators, librarians, after-school staff
- Family members and colleagues of educators interested in making
- People who work in education-oriented organizations who want to bring making into schools
- Students with adult supervision
- School groups and afterschool programs (Limit 30 and subject to space availability. Please contact email@example.com.)
What can you do?
- Learn to use making tools and equipment
- Learn how to automate your classroom with IoT devices and Web services
- Bring your idea or project to life using our equipment
- Build and program Lego Mindstorm robots
- Learn and use Raspberry Pis and Arduinos, including sensors.
- Create 3D models and print using 3D printer
- Laser engrave or cut your design using our Lasercutter Learn basic electronics, including soldering, or work on your own electronics project
- Make your own electronic notebook
- Work on CNC router
- Glue gun your own costume or art or engineering project
- Learn to program in Scratch, Python w/ Minecraft, and more
- Make a garment or jewelry electronic with conductive thread and LEDs
- Participate in a design challenge
- Learn how making can be incorporated into your curriculum
- Learn to use 3D modeling tools using Autodesk software
- Meet other makers and maker educators
How much does it cost?
Participants attend for free!
Can I take my project home?
In most cases yes, however; projects that incorporate Arduinos, Legos, Raspberry Pi, sensors, motors, servos or other electronic components may not be taken out of the workshop.
Open making hours are drop-in, so there is no need to arrive by 3 p.m. Please allow at least one hour to get the most out of the experience.