Interdistrict Transfer Appeals
One of the duties of the Alameda County Office of Education and the Alameda County Board of Education is to handle the appeals process if parents/guardians are seeking to transfer their child to a different school district.
There are several important steps that must be followed. The process may sometimes appear confusing, but each district is required to have someone to help with the process.
FIRST: You must try to handle the request at the district level.
SECOND: If you do not get the result you want at the district level but you feel you have a good case, you can submit an appeal to the Alameda County Board of Education.
A booklet on the inter-district transfer appeal process is available at the Alameda County Office of Education, 313 W. Winton Ave. in Hayward. You may also contact ACOE's Community and Legal Liaison, Melinda Giannes, 510-670-4225 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also download the forms and booklets listed below:
- Interdistrict Transfer Appeal Form
- Interdistrict Appeal Process Handbook
- Guia del Proceso de Apelacion Interdistrital
If you want to transfer your child to a school that is outside of your normal school district (outside the city in which you live), here are some important things to remember:
- You must first request an inter-district transfer form from your current school district. If your request is denied, you can appeal that decision but you must follow the appeals process of whichever district has denied your request. You must exhaust all administrative remedies prior to appealing the Alameda County Board of Education.
- If your appeal has been denied at the district level, then you can request an opportunity to appeal the decision to the Alameda County Board of Education.
- Board of Education
- About the Board
- Meet the Board Members
- Board Meetings
- Board Policy Manual
- Board Policy and Legislation Committee
- Other Board Committees
- Agenda Item Request
- Expulsion Appeals
- Interdistrict Transfer Appeals
- Board Resolutions
- Board Service Awards
- Novis Agenda Public View
- About ACOE
- Communications and Public Affairs
- County Superintendent
- Districts and Schools
- Staff Directory
- Training and Professional Development
- Williams Legislation
Board of Education
Joaquín J. Rivera
Trustee, Area 1
Marlon L. McWilson
Trustee, Area 2
Trustee, Area 3
Trustee, Area 4
Trustee, Area 5
Trustee, Area 6
Trustee, Area 7