Substitute Teaching Information
Click here for more information on our Credentialing Services
Requirements for the emergency 30 day substitute teaching permit:
- Possession of a Bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited university. Original transcripts or original diploma showing conferral of appropriate degree is required.
- Passage of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). Specific test dates can be obtained from the internet at http://www.cbest.nesinc.com or telephone 916-928-4001.
- Substitute Teacher Pay Rates: Download Information
- Fingerprint clearance. For fee information and appointment, call 510-670-7711.
- Completed application forms for permit. Forms can be obtained from each district or from the county office. A fee of $55.00 payable to CCTC (California Commission on Teacher Credentialing) is required at the time application is made for the permit. Call 510-670-4263
The emergency 30 day substitute teaching permit is valid for one year from the date application is made. A renewal fee of $55.00 is required at the end of that year.
Substitute/Temporary Classified Opportunities at ACOE:
- Click here for more information
- Click here to complete and submit a classified employee application (all applications will be accepted via EdJoin only)
- Attach a resume to your application.
Substitute Teaching Opportunities at ACOE:
For employment as a substitute teacher (after obtaining your sub permit) you would need to apply individually to each school district for traditional schools. The teaching opportunities that the Alameda County Office of Education offers are for juvenile court & community schools as well as for the CalSAFE (pregnant minors) programs only.
- Click here to complete and submit a substitute teacher application for our Interest File. All applications will be accepted via EdJoin only.