Substitute Teaching Information
Requirements for an Emergency 30 Day Substitute Teaching Permit:
(this is a one-year document that restricts service to not more than 30 days in any one classroom)
- Possession of a Bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited university. Original transcripts or original diploma showing conferral of appropriate degree is required.
- Passage of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). Specific test dates can be obtained from the internet at http://www.cbest.nesinc.com or telephone 916-928-4001.
- Substitute Teacher Pay Rates: Download Information
Substitute/Temporary Classified Opportunities at ACOE:
- Click here for more information
- Click here to complete and submit a classified employee application (all applications will be accepted via EdJoin only)
- Attach a resume to your application.
Substitute Teaching Opportunities at ACOE:
For employment as a substitute teacher (after obtaining your sub permit) you would need to apply individually to each school district for traditional schools. The teaching opportunities that the Alameda County Office of Education offers are for juvenile court & community schools as well as for the CalSAFE (pregnant minors) programs only.