The Alameda County Office of Education (ACOE) has been submitting applicant fingerprints electronically since December 1998, serving school districts within Alameda County as well as colleges, universities, public service organizations, private schools, city and county agencies, and private companies throughout the larger San Francisco Bay area.
The following are Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Click on a question and the answer will appear below it.
Where can I get Live Scan Fingerprinting?
The ACOE Fingerprinting Office is located at 313 West Winton Avenue, Room 179, Hayward, CA 94544. Walk-In and scheduled appointments are available by calling 510-670-7711.
What are the requirements for fingerprinting? What do I need?
To receive fingerprinting services please bring the following three items with you:
- A completed Request for Live Scan Service form, provided by your requesting agency (not ACOE)
- A valid photo identification such a
- California Driver's License
- Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card
- Out-of-State Driver's License
Expired identification cards will not be accepted.
Click here for a complete list of valid identification.
- Payment for Live Scan service. We accept:
- Money Orders
- Cashier Checks
- Debit Cards
- MasterCard, Visa, and Discover credit cards.
What is the Walk-In procedure?
Monday-Friday from 8:35 a.m. to 11:20 a.m.
Closed between 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Walk-ins are on “first-come, first-served” bases for the first 14 applicants only.
The cut-off time for walk-ins is at 11:20 a.m. Please plan your time accordingly.
When you arrive, please look for the BLUE sign-in sheet and print your name at the next available time slot. While waiting for your name to be called, please be prepared to have on hand:
- A completed Request for Live Scan Service form
- Valid Photo Identification (Driver’s license, California ID)
- Payment for the service
It takes 10 minutes to complete the Live Scan process. The estimated times listed on the sign-in sheet are generally accurate with little to no wait time. However, your wait time can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 ½ hours depending on how many people have signed in before your arrival.
Please call 510-670-7711 for WALK-IN schedule changes.
How do I schedule an appointment?
Scheduled appointments are available by calling 510-670-7711.
How does Live Scan work?
The Identix TouchPrint Live Scan workstation is a fingerprint system that produces forensic-quality ten-print records by electronically scanning and capturing rolled fingerprints. Because the process requires no ink and uses advanced electronics to ensure accurate image capture, you get consistently better quality ten-prints than with traditional inked fingerprint methods.
The electronic fingerprints will be transmitted directly to the State Department of Justice with an anticipated three to five working days response period.
I have been fingerprinted before with a different agency/employer. My prints are in the system. Can you use those fingerprint results?
No. The Department of Justice requires each applicant be re-fingerprinted with every new application for employment. For your privacy protection, personal background information cannot be shared between agencies.
Can I get Live scan fingerprint at a different agency?
Yes, you may go to any Live scan agencies that will do transmission to the Department of Justice electronically.
A listing of Live Scan locations can be found here.
Do you use a fingerprinting card?
No, our system is set up for electronic fingerprinting, and that submission of digitally scanned fingerprints will be sent directly to the State Department of Justice.
Where do I get the Request for Livescan Service form?
The agencies requesting your clearance should provide you with the proper Live Scan form.
How much do you charge?
Our processing fee is $20.00 per applicant. Additional fees may apply if mandated by your requesting agency for criminal background checks. While the fee is often paid by the requesting agency, some applicants may be required to pay this fee themselves.
If you are required to pay for the criminal background checks, all fees including fingerprints will be collected at the Live Scan site.
- Department of Justice (DOJ) fee: $32.00
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) fee: $19.00
Effective 3/19/12 the FBI fee will be reduced to $17.00
- Child Abuse Index fee: $15.00
Where do I get Money Order?
Money Orders are issued at most banks, Post Offices, and grocery/convenience stores.
What are the procedures for School District or Agencies?
Before sending applicants to the Alameda County Office of Education for Live Scan services, all school districts and other agencies must be authorized by the Department of Justice (DOJ) to conduct fingerprint background checks.
To receive Live Scan authorization packet from DOJ, please visit the following web address for information: http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/agencies.php
Once you have received DOJ authorization, including ORI, e-mail, and billing numbers:
- Call to schedule a fingerprinting appointment with the Fingerprinting Office at 510-670-7711.
- Complete "Request for Live Scan Service – Applicant Submission" (from BCII 8016 for employment and /or form 41-LS for certification). Send all copies of NCR form(s) with applicant to fingerprinting appointment; once the fingerprinting has been completed, the transaction will be noted on the form(s) and a copy will be returned to you.
- Applicant should arrive at the Fingerprinting Office 15 minutes before the fingerprinting appointment to –
- submit the complete “Request for Live Scan Service” form(s); and
- Pay the fingerprinting processing fee. We accept: Visa, Discover, Mastercard, ATM/Debit Card, Cashier Check or Money Order. Please make Cashier Checks and Money Orders payable to "ACOE" NO CASH or PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED
School districts or agencies may arrange to pay an annual fee in lieu of individual fees; contact Movetia Salter at (510) 670-4265 for further information.
- The employing School District/Agency will receive the DOJ response regarding the fingerprint clearance. If the district belongs to the Substitute Teacher Fingerprint Consortium, ACOE will receive the DOJ response and will notify the appropriate district(s).
How do I check on the status of my fingerprint submission?
Please allow a minimum of five business days before making a status inquiry.
Applicants should check first with the agency requested the background review since the Department of Justice sends results directly to the applicant agency.
Check Your Live Scan Submission
Note: Your Live Scan provider does not receive results for submissions.
Results are sent to the requesting agency. If a requesting agency does not have results yet, and digital Live Scan Fingerprints were submitted, you can use the automated telephone system to check on your submission.
24-hour Automated Telephone Service: (916) 227-4557
You will need the following information:
- Your date of birth
- The 10-digit Automated Transaction Identifier (ATI) number that appears at the bottom of your “Request for Live Scan Service” form.
The ATI number always appears in the following sequence:
1 LETTER; 3 NUMBERS; 3 LETTERS and 3 NUMBERS
8:35 am -11:20 am
9:30 am - 10:00 am)