• 3 Steps to Apply

    1) See if you qualify and get to know our program.

    • Read this Commission on Teacher Credentialing document to determine if you qualify.

    • At least one year of the required work experience must be within the last five years, or two years within the last ten years, immediately preceding the issuance of the preliminary credential. This work must be actual work in the industry–not teaching.

    • Once this requirement has been met, one year of teaching on a clear multiple-subject, single subject, or educational specialist credential can count toward the overall three-year work experience requirement. See the document linked above for the complete details regarding work experience.

    • See our "Program Overview" for more information. If you have questions, please contact us: ctc@acoe.org

    2) Pay the program fee.
    Go to the “Online Payment” link. Follow the instructions there to pay the program fee. Documents will be reviewed once the Program Fee is paid. 

    3) Send the following items in one envelope via US Mail:
    Incomplete application packets will not be processed.

    • Application Forms.
      Go to the “Application Forms” link and download the pdf. Fill out the application forms and print them.

    • Proof of high school graduation.
      A transcript from a college or other post-secondary institution is the preferred method. College transcripts must arrive in an unopend, sealed envelope from the institution. No electronic copies of any kind will be accepted.  You may use a high school diploma. See the Program Overview for additional options. 

    • Verification of related industry work.
      Go to the “Instructions for Applying” link. Follow the checklist and the templates provided in Instructions for Applying. Make sure the people who write the letter(s) use their letterhead and sign the letter(s) in ink. If you are using self-employment or avocational work as evidence, you will need verification from yourself (notarized) as well a letter from someone else (not notarized). 

    Mailing Diagram


    Mail the envelope to:

    ATTN: Derek Gorshow
    Alameda County Office of Education
    313 W. Winton Ave, RM 220
    Hayward, CA 94544


    Note: There are no exceptions to the submission procedures.