Policy and Governance
The Policy and Governance Program:
- Facilitates dynamic ACOE leadership in county, state, and federal policy arenas to address barriers to student success in Alameda County.
- Supports effective governance to ensure equity and transparency.
Policy and Governance Program staff can track state bills for any ACOE department and provide updates on the progress of bills as they move through the state legislative or budgetary process.
To have us track a state bill or create a report on state bills in a particular education-related area, please complete this form.
There are four key areas within the Policy and Governance program:
- Policy Advocacy
- Policy Analysis and Training
- Board Governance
- Legal Compliance
Through policy advocacy, analysis, and training, and in support of effective governance, the Policy & Governance Program strives to accomplish the goals listed below.
Through policy advocacy we:
- Move policies forward that support the vision and mission
- Elevate ACOE's leadership in policy and practice advocacy
Through policy analysis and training, we:
- Strengthen knowledge of policies affecting Board, COEs, districts
- Increase advocacy capacity county-wide
In support of effective Board governance, we:
- Facilitate updates to Board policies and regulations
- Oversee effective and fair apppeals processes
- Support County Committee on School District Organization
In support of legal compliance, we:
- Ensure Board alignment with Brown Act and other legal requirements
- Ensure accurate Superintendent responses to Grand Jury reports, CPRA requests, and other legal matters
Initiatives and Projects
The Policy and Governance Program leads projects and initiatives in support of dynamic ACOE leadership in policy arenas and effective governance to ensure equity and transparency.
Lucy Salcido Carter, M.A., J.D.
Policy & Governance
Kaela Allen, M.Ed.
Public Policy Fellow