Harvest of the Month: Kiwi
- Kiwis are a good source of vitamin C and K and also in fiber.
- Kiwis are very nutrient- dense fruit and edible to eat as a whole along with the skins just like apples.
- Developing a good healthy life requires to ensure nutritious food in the meal and kiwis would help with the balance of carbohydrate in a very natural way.
Here’s a very healthy recipe to start a very healthy day:
Kiwi Fruit Salad
Makes 4 servings. ½ cup each.
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 small bananas, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup chopped apple
- ½ cup grapes, ½ cup 100% orange juice
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients.
- Serve immediately or chilled
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 64, Carbohydrate 16 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Protein 1 g, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 2 mg Source: Network for a Healthy California, 2010.
Using peels and skin is more nutritious for fruits like apples and kiwis since they have more fiber in their skin.