English Language Development Resources
Support your English learners in the integrated and designated classroom with the following resources.
ACOE'S Supporting English Learners During Distance Learning Webinar Series
- Session 1 (11/19/20): Best Practices for Supporting English Learners During Distance Learning (Slides, Video)
- Session 2 (12/8/20): Partnering with Parents of English Learners During Distance Learning - COMING SOON!
- Can districts provide in-person services for small groups of students, including English learners, in 2020-2021? Yes! See guidance and FAQs here.
- Integrated ELD continues to be a required, integral part of the lesson planning and delivery process in all subjects.
- Designated ELD continues to be a daily requirement.
- California English Language Development (ELD) Standards
- These K-12 standards were adopted by the SBE in 2012, and aim to support English learners in California classrooms.
- California ELA/ELD Framework
- This guide, adopted by the SBE in 2015, guides educators in supporting English learners in the integrated and designated ELD classroom.
For Districts and Schools
- B.E.L.I.E.F. Modules
- These professional modules aid site and district leaders with the implementation of the ELA/ELD Framework.
- Newcomer Toolkit
- From the United States Department of Education, this thorough resource provides considerations in all aspects of work with newcomers.
- A Guide for Engaging ELL Families: Twenty Strategies for School Leaders
- Start your year off on the right foot by making positive connections with ELL families!
- Promoting the Educational Success of Children and Youth Learning English
- This resource from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine is rife with research for policies and programs to support pK-5 English learners.
- Sobrato Early Academic Language Model (SEAL) Videos
- Videos topics include SEAL in action, bilingual education, designated ELD, and preschool instruction.
- Reclassification Guidance for 2019-2020
- This letter delineates the criteria for reclassifying a student. Updated August 12, 2019.
- Newcomer curriculum map and newcomer learning plan
- English Learner Roadmap Teacher Toolkits (from Californians Together)
- High Impact Strategies Toolit to Support English Learners in the ERWC Classroom
- California Practitioner's Guide for Educating English Learners with Disabilities (CDE 2019)
- ELA/ELD Framework Vignettes and Snapshots Chart (see above)
- Implementation Support for the ELA/ELD Framework
- Colorín Colorado
- This bilingual site for educators and families of English language learners contains a wealth of resources for classroom and home use.
- Understanding Language
- Stanford University's Understanding Language page offers research-based teaching resources.
- Newcomer Toolkit (see above)
- Resource List: English Learners in PBL
- Learn how to better support your ELs through an integrated, project-based learning approach.
- Ed Tech Tools to Support Literacy for ALL Students
- Learn of the best online resources to help all of your students, including English language learners, access language and content.
- Sounds of Speech
- Show students how to make different sounds in the English language.
- Colorín Colorado (see above)
- Reading Tips
- Teachers can share these tips (available in multiple languages!) with parents in order to assist them in supporting their students' literacy at home.
For Students (free Online Learning)
- Duolingo is a top-notch, FREE language learning website. Learners of all ages can learn another language. (Similar to Rosetta Stone.)
- Mind Snacks
- MindSnacks offers iOS and Android apps for learning and practicing languages through gaming.
- English High Flyers
- English High Flyers is a free iOS game that helps students practice their vocabulary skills.
- Free Rice
- Play this free game in order to sharpen your English vocabulary, while donating ten grains of rice (per correct answer) to those in need.