NGSS Tools and Resources
General NGSS Resources
CA Framework Chapters and SDCOE Grade Level Resources
CA Framework Kindergarten-Grade 2: Chapter Three
CA Framework Grades 3-5: Chapter Four
CA Framework Grades 6-8 Integrated: Chapter Five
- Grade 6 - Preferred Integrated Course Model
- Grade 7 - Preferred Integrated Course Model
- Grade 8 - Preferred Integrated Course Model
CA Framework Grades 6-8 Discipline Specific: Chapter Six
CA Framework High School Three Course Model: Chapter Seven
- CA NGSS Roll Out and Performance Expectations
- CA NGSS Roll Out Materials and Information
- CA NGSS Performance Expectations with Math and ELA
- Science and Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- NGSS@NSTA Standards arranged by Disciplinary Core Idea and Grade Level
- Using Phenomena in the NGSS - a description on what phenomena-based instruction is according to the NGSS
- #ProjectPhenomena This site has examples of phenomena, definition for California, and a criteria list for selecting phenomena to use with your students.
- Phenomena For NGSS Another site that supports educators with examples of phenomena and criteria for use.
- Scientist's Curiosity Cabinet - Examples of phenomena with videos including explanations of the science behind the observation.
- AAAS Science Assessment - A great tool to seek out misconceptions your students may hold about given science topics.
- CAST Science Writer - a tool that supports students in writing lab and class reports. This tool is geared towards middle school and high school students.
- My Digital Chalkboard STEM Teaching Resources
- TERC Talk Science Project - Establishing a culture of discourse throughout K-12 classrooms
- NGSS EQuIP Rubric Overview (5 min)
- CSTA - Where to access the latest information for California Science
- PhET Simulations - use these to support exploration activities that incorporate modeling and computer simulations.
- Cell Size and Scale Simulation for the cross cutting concept of scale, proportion and quantity.
Other Lesson Planning Resources
- Better Lesson NGSS Aligned Lessons K-12- not always 3-D, but has some good lesson ideas.
- CK12 Free Online Textbook- Customizable resources for content-area reading
- Understanding Science
- NASA Education
- LHS GEMS
- PBS Learning Media
- WISE: Web-based Inquiry Science Environment
- Scientist's Curiosity Cabinet- Examples of phenomena with videos including explanations of the science behind the observation.
Science Partnership Resources
Cal State East Bay
Curriculum resources created through Science Partnership Professional Development workshops. Comes with teacher background, phenomena-based activities, and student activities.
- Teach Earth Science - Earth Science Professor, Dr. Jeff Seitz
- Teach Life Science (Coming Soon)
- Teach Physical Science (Coming Soon)
The Instructional Cases (ICs) are a series of lessons that focus on key science concepts that integrate NGSS and CCSS to improve student learning. Click the Materials Box Check-Out Page to explore ICs that have an accompanying set of materials. The lessons in the ICs provide teachers access to familiar content standards while experimenting with instructional strategies that are more closely aligned to NGSS.
The ICs can be used as lessons that support the completion of the modules, lesson study cycles, or as tools to demonstrate the supports and structures needed for administrators and colleagues when considering the shifts within NGSS. Remember that the lessons within the IC support the students’ progression towards the NGSS performance expectation. No single lesson can build students’ capacity to meet the expectations of an individual PE.
- Unit Timeline
- Teacher Background (written by CSUEB faculty)
- Lesson (approximately between 4-7 lessons)
- Student Activity Sheets
For access to any of the Instructional cases, please fill out the form below or click this form and allow 48 hours for us to grant you access. Once ypu have access, you will be able to see the documents below on this page.