Kevin Gorham and Stephanie Taymuree move on to the California State competition.
At the 28th annual Alameda County Teacher of the Year Awards Ceremony, teachers Kevin Gorham of Alameda Unified School District and Stephanie Taymuree of Oakland Unified School District were selected to represent Alameda County to compete for the title of 2017-18 California State Teacher of the Year.
Mr. Gorham teaches AP government and economics and leads the student-run radio station at Encinal Junior & Senior High School. On winning this award Gorham says, “Without teachers taking time out of their day to make sure I was on track, I don’t know where I would be today. If I can make a difference like those teachers did for me, then I’m going to live a great life.”
Mrs.Taymuree works with students with special needs in the Technology & Augmentative Communication for Learning Enhancement (TACLE) program at Oakland’s Redwood Heights Elementary School. She notes, “I am a teacher because I love children and I love being able to help them love themselves. I am excited and honored to receive this award and share it with all of them.”
The pair were selected from the 18 Alameda County district winners, after submitting an extensive application for panel review.
“Each year, we are honored to host this event in celebration of the district winning teachers,” said L. Karen Monroe, Alameda County Superintendent of Schools. She continues, “It is not only a time to acknowledge the work of these amazing individuals, but to also shine a well-deserved spotlight on our county’s education community. These winning teachers are representatives of all the extraordinary educators serving and supporting Alameda County youth.”
The celebratory event, hosted at the Castro Valley Center for the Arts was attended by close to 300 people including the winners’ families, school and district leaders, elected officials, and community members. All 18 district winners were recognized for their dedication and commitment to the impactful work they do with students.
The full list of the 2017 district winners in Alameda County are:
- Alameda County Office of Education - Veronica Aguilar, Burke Academy
- Alameda Unified School District - Kevin Gorham, Encinal Junior & Senior High School
- Castro Valley Unified School District - Maria Leyson, Marshall Elementary School
- Dublin Unified School District - Cindy Seto, Kolb Elementary School
- Eden Area Regional Occupational Program - Bill Deslaurier, Eden Area ROP Center
- Emery Unified School District - Leslie Payne, Emery Secondary School
- Fremont Unified School District - Victoria Quintana, Grimmer Elementary School
- Hayward Unified School District - Rosa Escabado, Tyrrell Elementary School
- Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District - Fenna Gatty, Altamont Creek Elementary School
- Mission Valley Regional Occupational Program - Doug Nahale, Washington High School
- New Haven Unified School District - Tina Bobadilla-Mastel, James Logan High School
- Newark Unified School District - Olivia Rangel, Newark Memorial High School
- Oakland Unified School District - LaRavian Battle, Sojourner Truth Independent Studies Program
- Oakland Unified School District - Stephanie Taymuree, Redwood Heights Elementary School
- Pleasanton Unified School District - Mario Hurtado, Village High School
- San Leandro Unified School District - Kellie Morris, John Muir Middle School
- Tri-Valley Regional Occupational Program - Nancy McNeil, Foothill High School