Stress in School
By HouJie Deng
What is stress?
Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances.
- It’s what gives you or other people pressure
- It’s forcing yourself or your body to do something
- It’s things that gets you anxious
- It’s things that you are worried about
- It’s things that you hate doing
- Something that your bad habits/something that you like to do causes
- Dealing with something that you don’t want to deal with
What can give you stress?
There are many ways to get stressed, for example:
- Your work/job
- Your classwork/ homework
- Working for long hours
- Not enough food to eat
- When you don’t know what to do
- Don’t have enough money to buy things you need/want
- Being unhappy towards something
- Facing socially hated from others because of your sex, religion, things that you do/like, etc.
What happens when you get stressed?
- Sleep during class/work
- You might get a headache
- Can’t focus on what you’re doing
- Can’t sleep well
- Your heart beats faster
- You get mad/sad
- Skin problems
- Your grades might drop
- Skip a meal
- Gain/lose weight
- Suicidal thoughts
- Loss of possessions
What can you do when you’re stressing?
- Ask a teacher/a friend/ an O-High staff/someone in the Wellness Center for help
- Take a break from what you are stressing from
- Take deep breathes
- Take a short nap
- Sleep earlier
- Keep track of your time and determine what’s best for you before you do anything else
- Think of what’s causing you to stress, why, and come up with a way of how to prevent it, and try not to do the same thing to get yourself stressed again over the same problem
- Change up your lifestyle, think of what you should do in the first place before you do something not so important
- Read a book
- Do some exercises
- Make a goal for yourself
Stress is a really common thing in my life, especially in school. It happens everyday, stressing over things I don’t know, too much homework, hungry and nothing good to eat, etc. I hate stressing, but it’s pretty hard to prevent it for me because I made it stressful.
I pay attention in class, trying my best in learning and understanding. I get the stuff that was taught or get most of it, but when homework was passed out to me, I would examine the paper, trying to find something on there that I might not know. But I find nothing, so I won't be stressing at home. But, I was wrong, it's harder than I thought I didn't know how to do some of the problems, it's harder than the ones that my teacher taught me, I'm starting to struggle.
I do the ones I know how to do, and leave the ones that's hard for later. After I finished the hard ones, I start to go on Google, searching up for examples or words I don't know and try figure out how to do it. It usually helps me, but if it doesn't, I count on my friends, I ask them if they know how to do it, even if
makes me look dumb, I would still ask, because it's for my own good. It's sometimes hopeless because it takes them more time to answer me, so I would ask the teacher the next day for help before class.
It isn't easy to wake up early in the morning for school, so I usually have more than one alarm, but that doesn't help because I keep snoozing the alarm or turning it off. I tried to sleep early, but the amount of homework I have and the time of my breaks I take affects the time I sleep, also having a baby brother at home disturbing me is a mess. Getting in trouble for not watching him and shutting him out because he's disturbing me doing my homework, stresses me out. I don't know what to do, watch my brother or shut him out of the room and get in trouble but get my homework done? It's a hard decision, but I have to deal with it and do both.
Stress is hard to deal with especially when you don't know what to do. I normally ask my friends/teachers/mentors for help, or go on Google. I hate stress, stress stresses me out. It makes me sleep less, no time for extracurriculars, less communication with my family and friends, it's a bad thing that I'm trying to get rid of and I will take step by step to solve it.