Find the resources you need to help you build your vocabulary and prepare for the Alameda County Spelling Bee!
How does one qualify for the Alameda County Spelling Bee?
Students must first take part in their school's and/or district's spelling bee(s) before advancing to the county spelling bee. Please contact your district's spelling bee coordinator for more information.
When is the 2020 Alameda County Spelling Bee?
The Alameda County Office of Education is proud to host the Alameda County Elementary and Junior High Spelling Bees on Saturday, March 7, 2020. at the San Leandro Arts Education Center (2250 Bancroft Avenue, San Leandro).
- Elementary (gr. 4-6) registration begins at 8:30 am, and the comptetition begins promptly at 9:00 am.
- Junior high (gr. 7-9) registration begin at 12:00 pm and the competition begins promptly at 12:30 pm.
The two top contestants from each level advance to the state competition: Elementary Spelling Bee Championship on May 9, 2020 (Stockton) and Junior High State Spelling Bee Championship on May 2, 2020 (San Rafael).
For more information, please contact Adriene Metoyer-Leonard at 510-670-4119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How may one study for a spelling bee (or simply build one's vocabulary)?
The Alameda County Office of Education does not have an official study list for our spelling bee. However, here are some ideas for how to build your vocabulary:
- Read, read, and read some more. For ideas on what to read, check out our Summer Reading page and the Scripps source books list.
- Find a study list. (Please note that our spelling bee words may or may not be included in the lists below. Words in the state elementary and junior high bees may also not be included in the word lists below).
- Use flashcards.
- Play vocabulary games.
- Check out the word of the day.
- Learn word roots.