Civic engagement embedded in real life experiences is the heart beat of a healthy democracy.
The California Task Force on K-12 Civic Learning offers recommendations and best practices for teaching civic learning.
Oakland Unified School District has been leading an effort to engage students in meaningful inquiry to create new solutions to age-old issues. The Educating for Democracy in the Digital Age website provides Common Core curriculum for grades 9-12 students to help them engage in research and advocacy.
High School Voter Resources:
- Promote voting through the resources found at High School Voter Education Weeks
- Partner with county elections officials to learn how to register and vote
- Provide a link to the Secretary of State's online voter registration application on you school Web site and email it to students
- Inform students how they can learn about the electoral process firsthand—and get paid—by working as poll workers on Election Day
- Use the California Voter Bill of Rights to teach students about rules that govern the act of voting