The Alameda County Office of Education is committed to equipping our most vulnerable students and those that serve them with the necessary tools for success. Continuing the work of equity in diversifying educational workspaces across the county, we are excited to kick off the ACOE Teacher Residency at Alder GSE. The residency program is based on a model that combines immersive hands-on practice in the classroom with educational theory and research in both seminars and online. It takes place in partnership with K-12 schools across the county in historically underserved communities, and 97% of graduates obtain full-time teaching positions after completing the program! Applications for the 2023-2024 residency class open on September 1, 2022.
ACOE is building a cohort of teacher residents who have the opportunity to interrupt inequities and promote meaningful outcomes for all students, specifically in underserved communities. Collaborating with a team of educators committed to preparing scholars to attend colleges of their choice. This is an innovative and affordable pathway to a full-time teaching career in our community and is an exciting opportunity to earn your Master's Degree and Teaching Credential while gaining hands-on experience.
Our mission is to create opportunity and cultivate success for every student by recruiting and educating excellent teachers and leaders who reflect the diversity of our schools’ communities.
Alder GSE provides an affordable and supportive path to a rewarding and successful teaching career. As an Alder student, you will receive:
- A Master’s Degree and Teaching Credential
- A year-long apprenticeship with an excellent, trained mentor teacher
- A cohort of up to twenty-five peers with whom to learn and grow
- Academic support from an expert instructional Director dedicated to your development and to creating a strong cohort experience
- A financial stipend (offered by K-12 Partner)
- Access to financial aid (federal loans), scholarships, and other financial benefits
- Eligibility for Loan Deferral during the program
- A 50% discount on credential test preparation courses and additional testing support, including free test preparation resources
- Priority hiring—90% of Alder graduates secure a full-time position at one of our school partners after their program year
You will be a full-time student completing your graduate-level coursework and co-teaching in a classroom with a mentor teacher four days a week.
Years Two and Beyond:
You will be fully prepared to work as a full-time teacher, making a positive difference for countless students over your lifetime.
A Year in the Life of
A Day in the Life of
APPLICATION PROCESS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree completed by the end of June 2023
- A grade point average (GPA) of 2.65 or higher preferred
- Eligible to work in the United States
2023-2024 Tuition General Education: $20,500
(net of $1721 Alder Residency SPED grant)
Test Registration Fees Approximately $1,000 depending on the number of test a student takes (currently fees are waived by CTC) Credential & Certification Fees $340 Live Scan & TB Approximately $150 based
on the provider
Books & Materials $600
Apply early for priority subject and grade area placements! As part of the admissions process, applicants will be asked to attend a virtual interview day. See the full steps here.
8:30 AM - 2:30 PM ACOE Teacher Residency Seminar Course
February 16, 2023
8:30 AM - 2:30 PM ACOE Teacher Residency Mentor Seminar